13.9.09

I went on a getaway with my pal the Triathlete to Door County, Wisconsin, where her mother-in-law has an old house. Behind the house is the sweetest meadow you ever did see.

Their neighbor mows these perfect walking paths through the meadow & a nearby grove of trees… I don’t know if he is some kind of landscaping design genius or what, but the paths are completely satisfying in every way: where they go, how they branch off from one another, how they are curved or straight in different places. Some of the coarser cut-off grasses make a truly excellent, quiet crunching sound under your shoes when you walk on them. I took the wildflower book out there one morning & identified at least three different asters.

When we weren’t hanging out in the meadow, the Triathlete was giving me a grand tour of awesome swimming spots. I swam in a warm little lake, & in wavy, windy Lake Michigan proper, & that tiny little shape is me swimming in Ellison Bay:

Plus I made a cherry pie, because Door County is famous for its pie-perfect sour cherries. We got the last of the season’s cherries. I’m pretty dang proud, because I’ve always relied on a food processor to make my piecrusts, but this one was all by hand & it actually turned out just fine. Didn’t know I had it in me! We bought local cherry honey to sweeten this pie. (Don’t mind all the cherry goo, we had only enough butter to make a top crust, no bottom.) It was delicious!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:58 PM , Blogger Michele K-Tel said...

cherry pie in Wisconsin? OMG!

 
At 5:07 PM , Blogger Cj said...

Oh! This makes me want to go back to Indiana where there, too, were mowed paths cut through the high meadow grasses.

And of course, I didn't get a chance to swim in that goddamn lake--looks like you had a lovely swim!

Thanks for this, Lovely I

ps-I totally believe you have a homemade cherry pie in you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home